Fall Prevention Fitness Classes
Young at Heart Strength Training | Tai Chi | Tai Ji Quan: Moving For Better Balance | Line Dancing
Young at Heart Strength Training (YAH)
These fitness classes have been in Stanislaus County since 2000. Each year over 1,300 older adults participate in our 30+ community based classes. Each class meets for one-hour and are lead by trained and certified volunteer instructors. This program is a practice tested intervention that has been shown to reduce the risk of falling.
Here are three links to better assist you;
New since April 2020, Virtual Online Classes
Here are five things that make YAH unique:
1. The class focuses on the full body and works on strength, balance, and flexibility.
2. The goal of the program is to keep participants functioning and to help reduce the risk of falling.
3. The class uses resistance tubes (4 levels of resistance) instead of free weights to reduce injury, to be used by even the most arthritic hands, and for easy storage.
4. The class is a place of group camaraderie and many participants have stated that these classes help reduce depression and help them to be more social.
5. Classes run on participant donations, we recommend $2.00 a week if the participant can afford it.
How to join a YAH Class
Where are the classes held?
- Newman (need instructors)
- Patterson (need instructors)
- Waterford (need instructors)
- Hughson (need instructors)
- Turlock - Starting Fall 2022
- Ripon - San Joaquin County (need instructors)
Do these classes work?
Tai Chi and Tai Ji Quan: Moving for Better Balance
Try this effective exercise program for preventing falls. Tai Chi for Arthritis and Fall Prevention works through improving balance, confidence and muscular strength. These classes are typically offered through-out the community.
Tai Chi - Saint Paul's Episcopal Church - 1528 Oakdale Rd., Modesto 95355 - Vaccinations Required | Class meets on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m. | Class capacity is limited to 30 - COVID-19 Vaccination required!
Tai Ji Quan: Moving for Better Balance - Stanislaus Veterans Center - 3500 Coffee Rd., Ste. 19, Modesto, CA 95355 | Class meets on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 2:30 P.M. - 3:30 P.M.
Try this new program offered by Healthy Aging Association. It is a great addition to your weekly fitness routine. It may improve your heart health, memory, and over all balance.
You can join this once a week class. Please select one of the options, cannot join both days or switch between the two.
Join us at the Stanislaus Veterans Center - 3500 Coffee Rd., Ste. 19, Modesto, CA 95355
Tuesdays - 2:30 P.M. - 3:30 P.M. OR
Fridays - 1:30 P.M. - 2:30 P.M.
A Young at Heart Poem
Come, Join Young at Heart Class
As seniors we are aging
Of that we have no doubt
But some things in the process
We sure could do without!
We cannot turn the clock back
Or halt the march of days
But, can we make them better
If we reform our ways?
Our bodies may get weaker
Our balance insecure
But we can counteract that
And better health procure.
Come to the Young at Heart class
It's tailored just for us
To regain strength and balance
It's gentle - not much fuss.
We have much fun together
And in the process find
As we improve our fitness
Gain happy state of mind.
So, seniors keep on stretching
And try to prevent a fall
By practicing your balance
Yes, welcome one and all.
By Naomi Ward
Young at Heart Participant (May 2015)
Young at Heart Program Sponsors
Funded in part by USDA SNAP-Ed, an equal opportunity provider, employer, and lender.