- Walking can be a form of relaxation to clear the mind and focus better.
- Walking can relieve feeling of anxiety or depression you may be experiencing especially with the unknowns of this time.
- Walking can help you sleep better or improve your sleep quality.
- Walking can make you more creative and allow you to refresh the mind especially if you are doing a lot of concentrating.
Our mental health, along with our physical health, is very important to our overall well-being. Here are some ways to keep your mental health in check and perform self-care:
- Take breaks from watching, reading, or listening to news stories.
- Make time to unwind and try activities you enjoy.
- Connect with others by making phone calls or Facetime family to maintain healthy relationships and build a strong support system.
- Take care of your body – Try to eat healthy well-balanced meals, exercise regularly, take deep breaths, stretch and get plenty of sleep.
- Seek help when needed– If distress impacts activities of your daily life for several days or weeks, talk to a clergy member, counselor, or doctor, or contact the SAMHSA helpline at 1-800-985-5990.
Written by Jessica Shupp Enes, Fitness Program Coordinator