Physical activity helps control weight, but it has other benefits. Physical activity such as walking can help improve health even without weight loss. People who are physically active live longer and have a lower risk for heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes, depression, and some cancers. Improving spaces and having safe places to walk can help more people become physically active.
*Aerobic activities like brisk walking, running, swimming and bicycling make you breathe harder and make your heart and blood vessels healthier.”
- People are more likely to walk and move about more when they feel protected from traffic and safe from crime and hazards.
- Maintaining surfaces can keep people who walk from falling and getting hurt. This also helps wheelchairs and strollers and is safer for people with poor vision.
- People need to know where places to walk in their communities exist that are safe and convenient.
- Walking routes in and near neighborhoods encourage people to walk to stops for buses, trains, and trolleys.
- S.T.E.P.S. (Seniors Tracking Exercise in Perfect Strides) - this 12 week walking challenge is offered in the Spring and Fall throughout the year. Participants track their miles that they walk either at the Vintage Faire Mall or around their neighborhood and they earn rewards for all the miles that they walk. It's not too late to join our Fall 2018 S.T.E.P.S. 12-Week Walking Challenge. Click here for more information about our S.T.E.P.S. walking challenge and how to sign-up.
- Designated Walking Routes located throughout the Stanislaus County area. These walking routes were created to encourage older adults and their community to organize walking groups and take part in walking outdoors in their surrounding neighborhood. By providing a safe and measurable walking route in an area highly populated with older adults we strongly encourage older adults and their community to utilize these measured walking routes to better their health and wellness. The walking route brochures are also intended to point out interesting fact about the surrounding area, indicate restrooms and water stations and users of the route to learn more about the community. We currently have a walking route created for Ceres, in the neighborhood surrounding the Ceres Community Center, and Modesto, around the Modesto Senior Center. Click here to print the Ceres Walking Route brochure and start walking TODAY!