- Historically, Older Americans Month has been a time to acknowledge the contributions of past and current older persons to our country.
- Every President since JFK has issued a formal proclamation during or before the month of May asking that the entire nation pay tribute in some way to older persons in their communities.
- Older Americans Month is celebrated across the country through ceremonies, events, fairs and other such activities.
- In honor of the 50th anniversary of the Older Americans Act, ACL is focusing on how older adults are taking charge of their health, getting engaged in their communities, and making a positive impact in the lives of others.
- The theme for Older Americans Month 2015 is: Get into the Act.
- Now is the time to Get into the Act to make the benefits of community living a reality for more older Americans. Together we can promote healthy aging, increase community involvement for older adults, and tackle important issues like the prevention of elder abuse.
Idea's for Older Americans month
- Community gardening and/or cooking—identify the activities that bring the generations together.
- Exercise —support a fun fitness activity and lifelong recreation.
- Educational programs for healthy living—encourage lifelong learning.
- Recreational activities for older adults—encourage active living.
- Volunteer recognition—honor older adults who make a difference.
or Join us at the Age with Movement Celebration
7:30 AM - 12:00 PM
at East La Loma Park
2001 Edgebrook Drive, Modesto
Two Walk Start Times
8:00 AM & 10:00 AM
35 + Community Vendors
Exercise Demonstrations (Tai Chi and Zumba)
The Quake Mobile DJ
a whole morning full of FUN!
All proceeds benefit the Young at Heart Fitness Programs of Stanislaus County