Signs of medical identity theft include:
· a bill for medical services you didn’t receive
· a call from a debt collector about a medical debt you don’t owe
· medical collection notices on your credit report that you don’t recognize
· a notice from your health plan saying you reached your benefit limit
· a denial of insurance because your medical records show a condition you don’t have.
1. Contact each health care provider and ask for copies of your medical records.
2. Review your medical records and report any errors to your health care provider.
3. Notify your health insurance and all 3 credit reporting companies.
4. Order copies of your credit report if you haven’t already.
5. Consider placing a fraud alert or freeze on your credit files.
6. Update your files.